Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Breaking Point - Day 14

Today was all about pushing my main character to a huge breaking point.

Questions to ask yourself when you're on this writerly mission:

How far can you push the character before they snap?
Do you want them to snap?
How are they emotionally: aloof? dramatic? flippant? crushed? vengeful?
No matter how far they're pushed will they regress?
Will they go too far the other way?
How will either result affect their relationships in the story?
How will either result change their story?

It's a delicious feeling to be so swallowed up in the character's emotional turmoil that you forget where you are and what you should be doing. I'd nearly lost myself to that surge of delight when I realized I was sitting in the corner of a crowded waiting room and I'd completed the scene (in my first draft form). I felt drunk on make-believe and not a soul in the room knew the journey I was on, the characters I was living with, or the adventure they were stirring up. It was terrific - my own secret world.

Today was a good day for that.

If you follow me on twitter, you may have seen that I was at the hospital with a family member, and today was the day for all the good vibes you could manage to spare. Well, it worked, friends. All is well for now and we're pressing forward with warmth and love in our heart.

Word Count: 980


No comments:

Post a Comment